Monday, January 15, 2007

Part 14

I remember the swimming certificates at primary school were for 15 yards, 50 yards, water skills, then 100 yards...that was about my limit.

you mentitioned it a few hundred posts back. I went to Hokowhitu and Int.Normal, but we moved from Ruahine Street to North Street in 5th form year. Just thought our paths may have crossed somewhere.

I WENT TO QEC dr spoodle was the head. miss collins= sewing teacher.. miss cook = cooking teacher I was a rebel without a cause and reined havoc..spent most of my time at the office or detention room.. I also remember those great big bubble gums..got them stuck to me glasses all the time cause I would blow a huge bubble..the teach would look round and I would put my hands over me face..dur
Guy Fawkes night...We used to make a guy and pull him around the neighbourhood begging for pennies or hapneys..
good old half pennies. I used go round collecting all the empty soft drink bottles and then cash them in at the dairy to buy my lemonade TT2"s hahah love them TT2's
do you remember Joy Bars? They were a long chocolate covered ice cream bar with raspberry inside. They were in a blue covered box and you'd pull them up by a strip of cardboard.
and the old phones on a party line ours was 1short-2 long and green cellophane on black@white tv;instant colour;lucky strike ciggaretes that dad smoked @ sliding down mountain side on nikau branches man that was fun
I was at QEC when the Gym burnt down......And NO it wasnt me........ lol. It was a smoldering smoke under the mat.. man those flames went real high and the heat from the fire. The fire engines couldnt get up the driveway cos of the cars.... lol. We had 'pinky bar' for our maths teacher. well he had the brighest pink face that you ever saw. dunno his real name - I waged his classes. He had no idea what New maths was... and so I saw no reason to go to his class if he wasnt going to teach us. Mrs Curtain was a right pain in ther rear end. The principal's son wasnt allowed to attend the QEC cos he was such a shite.... apparently he died in a car crash into a powerpole. Was made to do shorthand and typing YUK.
cricket balls, Fry's bars. sante bars croquettes, aniseed wheels, banana bikes.

I... remember my parents giving me sixpence to give to the poor children overseas as they called them. Well I gave 1 penny to them and pocketed the other 4pence and managed to buy aniseed balls and bubblegums on the way home from school. Poor kids didnt see much of my donations at all.. My stomach saw the bulk lol Also going to the movies on a Sat. Watching a serial for the 1st half which would end in a real gripping part and then u would have to go back the following Sat to see the following part. eating ice creams at half time that had such soft cones. Rolling the jaffas down the aisle. and One thing I got banned for was chewing my gum. then stretching it along the row of seats hahaha then putting al the seats up and watching who the suckers were that pulled them down and sat on them, gum and all

Play Date magazine...you could buy them at the movies. The were expensive..2 shillings.
I do remember the joy bars yum yum for sure. So many sweet things. I loved when my parents did the BIG TRIP to town. Wow all the way from Mt Roskill to K'Rd to go to McKenzies and Rendalls and George courts. Mum had to make the trip so we could get the Adams bruce ice cream and Maderia Cake
about the GOB STOPPERS!!! hahahah what a mouthful they were and they changed colours as
the principal's son was a great friend of mine. He had this premonition that he wouldnt live to see his 20th birthday. To this day have always wondered why or how it happened. Probably not at the pubs either as I went overseas at the end of 1975..and wasnt really in the pub scene before that.
The Truth magazine and Man magazines were the **in** paper for the men those days. I managed to nick dads and read with my torch under the bed covers all the juicy bits. which compared to Playboy and Penthouse would be a comic book now

Anyone remember going to a segrated movie. Boys up top and girls on the bottom level. A sex education movie if i remember right. OHHHHH and i thought that was so hip to be watching something like that hahaha

From what I had heard..... there was no one around him when he crashed. He just lost it. People wondered whether it was a deliberate act on his part... but no one knew for certain.

pretty much my thinking too I was devastated when I found out. He was different in many ways...yes a shite sums it up...but one helluva nice guy if he let you get to know him.
Yeah suicide wasnt widely spoken of back then..... it was all put down to a lone driver in a car who lost it on the roads and slammed into a powerpole. Many young guys back then who died tragically like that could well have been suicide's. All for the same reasons young guys do it today.
We seem to have got away with a lot back then and yet we knew our boundaries on how far we could push it without geting a walloping.... mind you sometimes you got one just for the hell of it. Lol. We were taught respect and always called other adults as Mr and Mrs, nevr by their first names. well except for our teachers that we all had nicknames for...... old ma cutain. Holysocks. Shite we even had a male teacher have an affair with the art teacher.. yep they had it off out in the back of the art resource room while we were all in the class doing art. They did divorce their partners and got married to each other.... oh the fun we kids got to see and watch. lol.

I may have been born in 1967 but I remember a few things too. Being a new entrant to primary school in 1972 and accidentally walking into the boys loo instead of the girls and the teacher blardy smacked me!! Man, if anyone laid a hand on my 5 year old now they would be standing!!!
Someone mentioned Penthouse
mags etc. Do you remember when the Sunday News had the "page 3 girl"?
i mentioned the penthouse and was comparing it to the Truth magazine. cant say i remember the page 3 though of sunday news....

if you are still around, thanks so much for starting this thread last night. It has sure raised some laughs, some sadness, and yes, a whole ton of great memories. I love the fact that so many of us have the same recollections of those halcyon days. Lets keep this going people. I am getting off here now, but will check back tomorrow. Night all.
Magazines...How about "Pix People" or "People with Pix" which as I recall were out in the very early '70s and had photos of women with no clothes on. We used to sneak them off my friends Dad and run into the bushes or tee-pee tent to look at them.
I sorta remember the Pix magazine but by then I was married so i guess I thought I had been there done that and knew it all lol
Who had crackerjack gumboots as a kid
this thread is great...Raleigh choppers. I started out with a grifter.
The crackerjack gumboots my kids had, and the grifter bike my boy had.
i harped and harped for a grifter when i got it everyone had choppers
Wow, you have started something here....have managed tonight to obtain a copy of that book.....can't wait till it arrives....mrs d
Congratulations! You won't be disappointed! What did a 'grifter' look like, anyone? I knew what a chopper did and rode one. I know a guy, who like me loves stuff from that era and is putting together a chopper bike now! Ooooh the banana seat! Told him I wanted a ride, would even pay him for it!
The first songs I ever sang along to with a hairbrush as a microphone - My boy lollipop and Lipstick on your collar. The same hairbrush I used to get whacked with whenever I misbehaved. Watching Happen Inn and Let's Go, on Saturday evenings. Dancing the twist. lol.

I had a pink candlewick dressing gown, yellow candlewick bedspread & the ponchos my sister & I had were orange, brown & cream - totally YUCK!!! Almost matched the wallpaper LOL
Ohh clubhouses lol
We had an old carcase in the back garden with one side missing. My sister & I made a girls only club - no brothers allowed! All the girls in the neighbourhood would come over for tea LOL we had a table & chairs out there & thought we were just the bee's knees hahaha
The large butterfly's which
were on some houses near the front door, the three ducks which were on living/lounge room walls. No we never had either of these but I saw a lot of houses which had either or both.
i have one of those butterfly's in my garage

I did that too LOL funnily enough with my cousin (boy) He'd just had surgery for an undecended testicle ( but we didn't know what that meant hehehe - had to take a look at the scar! Can't say as I remember much at all really
got one of the butterflys on my fence.....i remember the smell of the inside of dad's morris oxford, and the sound of it....stuff 'new car smell' they should make airfreshners that smell like old leather interiors of morris's 700

No comments: