Monday, January 15, 2007

Part 13

rarely remember the red stars cos I didnt get many. i do remember the cotton wool dolls that the dental nurse at the Murder house in Mt eden used to make for us when we had a filling. On leaving the chair they gave us this little cotton wool doll like that was going to make up for all the drilling that had done. Calling a sister to overseee the work that had been done on us...#596
i think not my friend, that was something that worked, bit like the strap!
My teacher in standard 4 had a strap in his drawer called Hector somehow I avoided it but it was a nasty thick thing and girls and boys were up for it stinging pain on a hand. Noone ever cried but tears welled . I believe that when that particular teacher retired Hector was cut up into litle pieces as ultimate revenge!!

and now adays i think they make bumble bees its been along time since i have had any kids going to the murder house, but my grandaughter is about to be enrolled being 1yr old the poor wee thing :(

i managed to stay away from the strap BUT i did get detention but they were nothing, how about the 100 lines you used to get, I MUST NOT BE LATE FOR CLASS woopteedo, used to go home and get my other brother and sisters to help, tried the carbon paper copy but it didnt work lol

I was the first girl our Form 1 teacher had
ever strapped in his teaching career. Mr Ivan Ashbey, Heaton Intermediate Chch..1966.
Watching disgusting 8mm films in the hall of people infected with gonnoreah and syphillis...in the hope of frightening us off sex forever...Hagley High..1967.
strap!!! I was taught by nuns and i think they got a thrill in watching us cringe at the thought of getting it. They used it very often also but to be honest i guess we deserved it and maybe we were better for it. I know i wasnt lol but some were. I was the rebel. I remember we had a real hard case girl in our class who really had a bad reputation, one day in the toilets the girls were discussing being a virgin. Well.. I hadnt a clue what they meant @ 12 and when they adked me if I was one., I turned to the hard nut girl and asked was she, hahahah She said NO, so I said, well if Jackie isnt a virgin neither am I. Good God did the nuns give me a talking to even called up my parents to school. hahaha
Going to the Industries Fair in Chch with one pound in my pocket...I was so rich!!

I've still got some of my Sunny Stories!!! (kept them for my grandchildren!) What a horder! I was at Wanganui Girls' College when they had the black tunics. The Beatles appeared when I was doing my nursing training and I was met with unbelief when I asked who they were! And further back, I lived in Springston and went to primary school in the newly built school. We had cooking classes at Lincoln, and I loved the steamed brown pudding we made there! I think I still have my little cookery book from those days, advising to cover cabbage with cold water and boil for 30 min! and did anyone else buy a lot of Dromorne linen for their glory box?! and doing the twist! (and nowdays I do it at Mainly Music like a pro!!!!)
I was in a mixed school and we all got strapped male or female.
self paced learing modules
There was something we did in standard 4 mid 60's which had me very interested until the teacher suddenly decided he was bored with it and dropped it leaving us in the lurch at different levels. We had to work out answers to questions they were self-paced modules I think and as we completed each one we moved to a longer block with a different colour. It sounds babyish but it wasnt. I was so annoyed with him for dropping it and the whole class was into it. Does anyone remember working on something similar?

I was getting the strap by the time I was in Standard 4....... heaps in Form 1 and Form 2..... mostly for not redoing my homework agaian and again as they felt it wasnt done to their satisfaction.... Tidy.... I could read it and that was what mattered. But I would have to redo it over and over and then redo the next nights homeworks as well...... Detention was fun in Form 3 (lunchtime and afterschool.)
Oh and I am a female.... the strap was used mostly on the boys..... I know that I got it heaps. Cant recall many other girls getting it thou...

I was the biggest rebel in my third form class at Hagley High. The class was full of goody goodies except for me. One of those well behaved kids was Sandra Manderson who is now Commissioner of Police for Canterbury. She was a tattle tail even then...lol

Prime Minister Mr Holyoake's brother was our Headmaster/Principal.... and was the one to give me heaps of the strap.... and he would make me redo the homework.... he was such a idiot... lol.

detention in my day was to write 100 times a particular sentence. Or. if we were really naughty then we had to clean the classroom for a week. Otherwise we had to give up our lunchtime to do the garden in the nuns convent. Can u imagine the answer these days the nuns would get if that was given as detention lol
that would be the SRA laboratory system. Loved it when I was at school and it was still being used, although somewhat out of date, when I started teaching in 1975.
you were lucky you only got to do it 100 times... I got 500 times the same sentence... we would tape up 3 or 4 pens in a row and do them that way.... cos we go the same line every night for detention.... we would prewrite them out...... But we all got caught out one time as a new teacher changed the sentence..... and we had them already done in our bags... DAMN.... so we had to start all over again... we were all ready to just sit back and pretend to write the lines out...... lol.
iThey still have it in the resource room at the local school near me. Yep I remember doing them as well..

You must of gone to the same school as me cos they did that to us once and I was in the shit cos I had pages of the old detention in my bag and we had a new one we had to do. But still only 100 times,,
Well
who was ink monitor, and pigtails dipped into the ink well
hahahah well I never had to be that sort of monitor but i did become monitor of the warm milk crate hahahaha, YUCK.. we went in alphabet order to drink it and me being W was about 3rd to last. Bloody Norah!!! warm wasnt the word for it Hot would of been better. The nuns used to stand and make sure we finished it. i would always find a way to tip it behind the bush. Ohhhhhh Yuck.....
50,s on wards bullrush, home made trolleys, catching tadpoles and frogs, playing out in the dark till late at night hulahupes mini skirts, rompers suits for p.e at college yuk they were waxing up cardboard from candles and flying down the hills.swinging in the willow trees going to disco, shane the singer visiting our town.

Shane. then Alison Durban. Larry morris. (larrys Rebels) Diana lee.. ohh i could go on and on
flicking ink at the teachers back while they were writing on blackboard from those ink wells in desk,pictures were good always had the famous five on first, petrol was cheap and to go to the bakehouse for loave of bread it was hot you would eat the middle out by the time you got home.

Can you tell me a bit more about it please? Am I right in remembering it was 10 levels I love it so much I desperately wanted to do it all and had got to about the third last level when it was stopped.
tom sharplin, kids these days are missing out on lots of good clean fun
I just told my friend in the States about it and she's been browsing and enjoying it. She's a Kiwi who went to Hagley High with me in the 60's but she married an American and hasn't been home since 1977
According to today’s regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the ‘40s, ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s probably shouldn’t have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright-coloured lead-based paint. We had no child-proof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitch hiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cup cakes, bread and butter, and drank lemonade with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem...........
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable! We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers or Internet chat rooms, We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played cricket and football, and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no law suits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.....
We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s place and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. School examinations were tough and some students weren’t as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you’re one of them! Congratulations. Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.
SRA from memory...how is it that I can recall all this stuff as if it were yesterday,but have a hard time locating my glasses?...it was an American reading comprehension system that was imported out here in the early 60's as scholastic publishing here was in its infancy. Not sure about the number of levels but I think there were two parts to each level. You read a paragraph or two about something of interest and then answered questions and had to pass a certain percentage to move on to the next level. Supposed to develop independence in reading skills as well as encourage you to research more about the topic of choice. Sorry that was longwinded, but hope that it gives you some idea.

Yep there was different colours..... from easy to hard..... there was a story on one card........ and on another card there was questions..... the teacher had a card that was the answers.... I cant recall too much about them now...... but how about going into your local primary school and see if they still have them out the back in their resource rooms. I know about 10 years back... one teacher brought them back out and got the kids to do them...... lol. I remember green, red, brown, purple and gold colours. They were real easy as... did them in primary school.

those SRA were introduced the year I was in Std 3. I romped thru them and Mr Harvey told me I had to slow down and wait for the rest of the class to catch up. LOL very tailored to girls. The boys hated them

wasnt that half the fun for the girls in the class, to be encouraged to compete as we were generally excluded,unless you were like me.. a real tomboy..from joining in male sporting activities. How I hated not being able to play rugby or even cricket, and left with playing boring old netball. Even at swimming we were separated into boys males and females.
sorry, I was no lady i was a tom boy, played rugby, softball, got my mile swimming certificate at primary school. Plus we had an awesome singing group, it was called the Little Folksingers of Mt Roskill and we cut 45 records ! Even sang with the Hamilton County Blue grass band! WEnt to see the Highway Men, Peter Paul and Mary wahooooooo we were such busy kids, no time to be norty. Netball Saturdays, Gym in the week, brownies and guides and singing practice.
Respect We grew up having respect for our elders, teachers etc. We knew what was right from wrong and mostly abided by that. We also knew there would be consequenses to our actions. Also we grew up having common sense. A great deal has been lost and the young people of today are the poorer for it.

then at Intermediate school..... I wanted to do the woodwork and metalwork classes........ and not do the cooking and sewing classes. But it wasnt allowed. Girls had to do the domestic stuff and the boys had to do the cool stuff. There was one or two boys who wanted to learn to cook and we said we could swap...... NUP. To this day I hate cooking and sewing.... loved working with wood, can build decks, fences and make rimu coffee tables... give me wood and I am happy....lol. They could never knock the tomboy out of me... lol. Apparently a year or so later they changed the rules..... boys and girls doing all 4 subjects.... b*rst*ds....

I remember blue We were not given very long to do them the teacher preferred music and folk dancing but I will check out the resource room at the local school where I was thankyou!

Gosh, those certificates for swimming achievement. They were such an incentive to me and like you I aimed high and got my mile in primary school. Went on to do competitive swimming until I had to decide between that and training my horses.
you went to QEC? I went to Freyberg. What primary/intermediate did you attend?
How did you know I went to QEC???????? lol.
But yep I did... Takaro Primary and Monrad Intermediate....
having a pass to go home for lunch prefect standing there checking 650

No comments: