Sunday, January 14, 2007

Children of the '40's '50's & '60s come in here! Part 2

milk shakes in the metal cups they were yummy
the two piecarts in hastings the one by the clock tower that moved opposite the police station

What about warm milk at school( out of small bottles that sat outside until 1st break) served with a codliver oil capsule. Geezuz!! One broke in my mouth one day and I will never touch those ghastly things again. And BCG tests on our wrists, the dental clinics with all sorts of cottonwool painted happy bugs as an enticement to come back happily next time!

Friday Lunch was a pie and donut for 1 and 6pence. Imagine having that kind of lunch at schools now. But was soooo tasty. Remember the day when decimal currency arrived I July '67? I was in Form 2. Remember when man landed on the moon ? I was in 5th form Chemistry class.

I always wanted one of those 3 wheeler tricycles, remember the street cleaner that used to clean the gutters, all the kids in the neighbourhood would be waiting outside their house for him cause he would give out cards, oh and, the postie had a whislte she would blow if u had a letter, gosh the things u start remembering, those were the days. Could sleep with your doors wide open in the summer. The big black heavy phones.

Everything I have read here so far, is mentioned in the book - and it has heaps of photos too, yes there is the large, heavy tricycle with the tray attached to the back!

the gas meters that took coins out side toilets

the toilets in Auckland that you had to pay a penny into the door to use them

What about the Butcher who had real sawdust on the floor and his saveloys tasted like nothing I have had since! We ate them raw. And the fish n chip shop lady would give us all the leftover pieces of batter from her fryed stuff...it was a total treat. And standing for the Queen at the pictures, then watching Tonto and the Lone Ranger and hating having to wait until next Saturday to see the rest but at least there was the Nibble Nook to go to and have the BEST treat. An icecream. Especially a choccie dipped one. Sigh....

wowl! I I had a chain bike so there! Not a happy ending though..it got out of control going down a bridge and I used my barefeet as brakes and finished up with 9 stubbed toes!*cringes *

was looking at the old friends site the other day and there is a photo of me when i was about 6 in my school gym. we didnt have to wear it but mother made me as it was tidy and respectful. boy did i get teased... so i found the photo and it has someone elses name, and i dont know how to change it. any ideas

Greys cigarettes 10 pack...My first attempt at smoking, I was 13 in 1967. The Seekers, Walker Bros, Dave Dee, Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich. Dino, Desi and Billy.

Rompers Our gym teacher at Hagley High in Chch had a speech impediment...she called them Wompers.

I went to a Peter Paul and Mary concert and still have their autographs.. wonder if I sold them Id be a billionare LOL

glad i didnt have one now. Remember the old scooters? The old Mascara (had a little brush) that was a real glubby mess (teenegers), school socials-boys on one side of the hall, girls on the other.

Peroxide in our hair Maxi skirts, mini skirts, paisley bell-bottoms, Gene Pitney,

Who had RED witches britches showing under their gym frock, with black lace ?

Lawsons owened our chip shop in May Road Mt Roskill and when she got pregnant they sold up.

Blusher was called rouge.I remember wearing a roll-on (girdle) and stockings to school. Sanitary pads with belt and pins...lol

And you could get 6 chocolate buttons for 1 cent!!!!! And as i post the poster above me is asking about red witches britches with black lace and gym frocks...yep i wore them!!!!!

I remember the Fish and chip shop theLawsons had, I grew up near there.

I...used to put jaffas on my lips as lipstick hahaha.. Oh god help me...

LOL @ mascara we used to use Kiwi boot polish for mascara, at school during lunch time

sneaking out of school at lunch time to meet your boyfriend in the espanade in palmy nth, and coming back to school late doing up your skirt as you enter the class room in front of your very religious teacher, and having all the girls in the class checking out your hickies...opps sorry that was the 80's

those chocolate dipped icecreams were called "Brown Derbys" weren't they?

groceries when the grocer delivered the weekly groceries in a cardboard box and a bag of lollies thrown in for nothing. Yep 9pence to get into the movies and 3d to spend. always bought a wee bag of smokers(pink).A penny to put in the plate at Sunday school.School milk yuk,.No wonder I still hate milk.Hand basin in the loos at school was a long concrete trough.Spooky place at the end of the school yard.Listening to Noises in the Darkness on the radio on a Friday night then running like mad to bed.Top 20 on the radio on a Sunday from 12 till 2pm and trying week after week to write down the words of the songs.Rompers under gym frocks, bulky. Panama hats in the summer and horrible berets in the winter.Doughnuts from the Marina bakery in Hastings. Still the best I have ever tasted.Curly top fizzy drinks. Once they made one called scoffee a coffee flavoured one.Never caught on but I loved it. boy could go on and on.Those were the days.

seaman's jerseys mid length white mohair coats, duffel coats, hipster bell bottoms with a rope tie. Those little fluffy hat type things that buttoned on the side of the chin. Sachets of Gypsy Fire or French Plum hair colour. Those big cosmetic cases with little plastic bottles inside

Who blotched their ink from the fountain pen all over the desk and themselves. But they made great amunition. Used to ping the ink across the room at the boys. Our teacher, stubbed his cigarette out on my book and another teacher broke her ruler on my butt

dont remember what we called them, but they were SUCH atreat werent they? Blardy heck, even a fizzy drink was special. I recall going to a wedding or some kinda party and there were a few bottles of fizz in a nice wee line. About 20 pairs of preteen eyes were totally fixated on that line for a couple of hours!! LMAO!! Now, could we keep young ones of today so enthralled with ANYTHING?? Methinks not, and how damned sad is that. :( Yep. We were the last of the Golden Age. Bring it back please.
51-99

No comments: