Saturday, May 13, 2006

snippets 3

milking cows is a great life Milked them from the time I was 15 till we retired Farming was a great way of life .. to bring up kids,,Must be hard to be in town bringing up teenagers.

I have just waded through this lovely ‘oldies’ thread. At 68 I qualify. I receive the English ‘Yours’ magazine each month & I’m currently reading the Yours ‘Spring’ Nostalgia magazine which brings back so many memories of growing up in England. This ‘Spring’ has a special feature on Elizabeth Taylor (close to dying) who was born in London of American parents in 1932. Most oldies will know she had the most beautiful violet eyes with a double row of dark lashes & when she moved back to the States in 1939 her beauty & her English accent gave her a head start in movies. There are also many stories of ordinary people who were evacuated. Although having 7 children my Mother refused to let any of us get sent away & we moved from London to the North although many bombings took place there also.

I am more the Roy Orbison era...and even as modern as Cliff Richard. Have you noticed now good the spelling is in this thread!! We must have all been taught by nuns!

Dont know about Hawera but the boats go out fromPatea,,Ohawe,Opunaki,Pungarahu, The only fish I get in Hawera is at the fish shops HEHE used to whitebait at a few places. Boats seem to be catching some though.

I used to live in Upper Hutt at the time. After work on Friday used to drive up your way and fish that night, next day to Waitara and stay in motor camp. Fishing then leave Sunday night, back to work Monday. All done at high speed, oh for the days of cheap petrol.

No comments: