Saturday, June 23, 2007

As a product of the 70s I remember hanging out at our local dairy. All the kids in our street use to collect the glass fizzy drink bottles, the ones you could get the refund on and cash them in to buy an assortment of lollies. Bubblegum like gold rush was always a favorite. K and B bars were always good value. Any of the 2 for 1 cent lollies. I remember the Telethons. Staying up all through the night eating taties and burnt popcorn the you made in the pot on the stove...not the microwave. It makes me laugh the old L&P adds that are on the telly at the moment, thats exactly how it was...those were the days. Playing bullrush at the park, pinching fruit off the neighbours feijoa tree. swimming in the tidal creek with a really dangerous undertoe.
Remember taking the bottles back and getting enough for a bag of lollies or whatever. My parents had a shop and I remember people bringing in crates of the bottles and having to count the dirty things and lug them around to the back of the shop.
The Shoreline when it was new. BBQs at Waitati, walking up the Outram for a swim, water skiing on Waihola then off to that shack of a pub, fishing and a beer at the Portobello. The odd Friday night up at the 'Gardies' with all the scarfies or down to the Beach Hotel with the surfies.

The Shoreline was the flashest. It is now a pile of rubbish and concrete. Remember that pub at Fairfield which is now a development for new housing. I remember my cousin talking me into going to the beetles with her and when we got there (good seats) everybody was screaming and going crazy.
I recall in one of the streets in Upper Hutt therelived an old chap who was an alkie and had this enormous pile of empty beer bottles in crates on his front lawn. His place was about 2 miles from us but at night once or twice a week. when it was dark I used to ride my trusty BSA 28" bike around to his place. The bile had a front carrier with a canvas newspaper bag on it and I would uplift a crate of empty bottles. Used to take them to Strouds liquor store and get the 1/- & 3d. refund. At the end of a year I had enough money for my 1st rifle :)
what about blokes' socks in ...... lime green, ming blue, shocking pink ... bodgies and widgies ... the divorce court listings in Truth ... Nivea and Vicks vapour rub for just about everything ... winklepickers ... the arrival of pantyhose ... tartan bras ... Matteus Rose (spelling?) ... getting doubled by your boyfriend (far more innocent than it looks!) ... real exams ... ladies a plate ... half-gees, kegs, sherry for the sheilas ...
In the early 70s my Mum use to dress me up as Holly Hobbie! We even wore identical jump suits - bright orange, brown and pink big flowers with a big zip. We (the neighbourhood kids) would hang out all weekend. Build huts, play cowboys and indians, bullrush, spot light etc. We had banana seat bikes and chopper guards. Chocolate yougart came out I think in about 1975!
70's boy here i rememeber the days when we got a belting from our parents and were told it was the best thing for us "its the only way you will learn" my mother use to say(scream)as she brought the wooden spoon down across my ar*e
Bottle Drives We had a bottle drive at primary school to make money for a school trip - from Wellington to Christchurch. Overnight on the ferry and all day in ChCh. Then back on the ferry. The big shed at school was full of bottles - we were all frantically collecting so we could go on the trip. Great fun.
What about paper trails? Collecting news papers and old magazines for some money - no idea where they went though. I also remember them being piled in the cloakroom and when we tied them into bundles we found all sorts of crud thrown in the back - old moldy lunches ugh!
We used to take old newspapers to the fish and chip shop. No fancy white paper then - just good old newsprint. Boy did those f&c taste great. Who remembers flips (potato fritters) - they were delicious with woster sauce and vinegar.
Boer War Vetrans I can remember them marching on ANZAC day. I can also just remember an old clasic car race ?in Dunedin going up Caversham Hill. Some had to turn round and go up backwards because the petrol couldn't flow upwards. When those cars were made I don't think they had petrol pumps in them then - I should have said Look Out Point Hill not Caversham
We had an old car that had to go backwards up a steep hill. Can't remember what it was though. Aah, the good old days.

No comments: