Sunday, January 17, 2010

13I am almost 65 and lots of memories in these above posts.The packet food that I remember is 'Instant Puddings' My sister and I used to pinch 1 or 2 and mix up,put in fridge,and eat the lot,and then get rid of any evidence, before Mum and Dad got home from the milking.This was after walking home 3 miles from school.I could go on and on and on

14 My monday lunch came in a packet at primary school.. Put my order in before the bell at 9am and lunch was delivered to the classroom at 12.. Yes it was 1 piece of fish and a scoop of chips for the princly sum of 1 shilling....For you young ones that was 10 cents lol....

15 Aaaah yes, the old copper boiling away in the wash-house, holding a handful of wooden pegs for Mum to hang the washing out. Corner dairies, with locked, covered shelves, so you couldn't buy certain things on weekends. Buying a HUGE bag of broken biscuits for 3d, and hoping you would get plenty of chockie ones. Going to midnight movies at the Tivoli theatre in the square. A shilling got me a bus into town, my ticket to the movie, an ice-cream and a "small" lolly mixture at half time. Then the scary walk home afterwards. Later, in my late pre-teens, I got a job as an ice-cream boy at the Chrystal Palace. The ice-creams were frozen solid..how any-one ate them I'll never know. The cone used to be all soft and soggy. Maths weren't too good in the old pouds, shillings, and pence days so my empty tray always went back - short of money lol

16 I was bought up on a farm in the early years of my life. I remember my mother making all our sauces, bottling all our fruit, making and bottling spaghetti, preserving eggs, beans and other veges out of the garden that she had going. Bread was delivered (unsliced) every day by the mailman. Milk and cream was fresh - straight from the cow and dad killed a sheep when the freezer was getting empty. Didnt have to buy biscuits because there is nothing like home made baking and she did the lot.

17 my mum used to feed 5 of us on one med tin of baked beans for lunch on a sat. my hubby laughs and says it mustve been a big tin. it wasnt.i dont remember not having a little on toast. now i could eat 1/2 tin on my own....and fish/chips was a friday thing, for 9pence. for a shilling, i think you got a rasp bun or something....i was a lunch monitor, in form 2, and when to the shop by the school to get the orders, they were put in a trolley, that we wheeled back to school, and the shop man used to give us all the crunchy bits....oh those were the days.....

18 The Sunday afternoon request show on 3ZB. Had to write in for a song to be played and it could take weeks before your name was read out. My 1st bike, with up-turned handlebars, balloon tyres, and fixed hub. 1st job, delivering telegrams from the Post Office in the square. Biking way up Papanui Rd to find no-one home, leaving a note to say a telegram was waiting for them, writing OLN on the envelope and handing it back to the supervisor. The joy of having a phone put in. Still remember the number..75-406. Making a pistol out of wooden clothes pegs. Climbing trees. Skinny dipping in the river on my uncles farm. Men and boys 1st, then women and girls later. Army cadets at high school. 78rpm records, 45's and LP's. transistor radios, a "drive in the country" to go Saturday shopping at Brighton.

Born in 1948 in Merseyside - used to have lamb shoulder - blade end for sunday lunch - timed to have dessert at 1pm to get to local shop to buy block of ice cream - no fridge, of course. Memories of mum with a dolly tub and hand agitator - manual wringer - what a hard job!!
Always had a cooked breakfast - mum never liked fish & chip shops - only ever ate out on big shopping days in Liverpool - Littlewoods or Lewis's. B&W tv with BBC only - I wasn't allowed to turn it on. Chicken was a luxury - we never ate beef unless stewing or pork unless sausages. Had big garden with new potatoes, peas, beans, apples and goosberries - mum's gooseberry tart was to die for!
Used to travel on public bus by myself for 30 minutes each way to get to school as a 7 year old.

No comments: