Sunday, August 05, 2007

Do you remember

Do you remember Plunket, hula hoops, school cadets, the strap (ow I got that!) school milk, stiff petticoats, bodgies and widgies, rock and rollers, behind the bike sheds, winkle pickers, the flicks, old jalopies, the Bisto Kids, tapioca pudding, Lanes emulsion, junket, Sunday roasts, maltexo, Portia faces life, The Chicks, Lee Grant, milkbars
one shilling to go to the movies..included 6d admission,3d for an ice cream at interval and 3d bus ride home. I remember the furor over the screenings of the movie Ulysses..no mixed audiences and so my parents went on different nights. However my fondest memories are of playing outside in all weathers, making our own fun, doors never locked and often left with the keys in them.
iceblocks use to be called t t 2s and i remember collecting drink bottles taking to the dairy to get money then buying lollies.remember going to the dairy on a saturday night to get the 8oclock newspaper..the shaggy haircut
Lanes emulsion - yes well - mum used to come to the school every day at lunch time to give me my dose - I think it tasted quite nice - but don't know if it did any good. Didn't like syrup of figs as much but maltexo (malt) was yummy.
warm milk at school( out of small bottles that sat outside until 1st break) served with a codliver oil capsule. the dental clinics with all sorts of cottonwool painted happy bugs as an enticement to come back happily next time!
Yuk, the milk!!!!! hated it, loved Lanes's emulsion, Maltexo, codliver oil caps, vitamin C ... ooooh we were bonny girls!!! Lol. Mum used to put 'setting lotion' on our hair and told us we'd get curly hair! Never happened - she lied!!!!!!!
four pack of chewing gum in four different colours, Fisher's savoloys in Dunedin were the best, pink & nearly melted in the mouth,American chewing gum had a taste all of it's own & I still love Ice Cream Soda & can't get it in the Nth Island.Have it brought up from down south when someone visits there.Ice Cream Soda spiders are yum.[For Nth Island folks, a Spider is what you would call an ice cream soda, but Ice Cream Soda is an actual flavour down south.]
My memories of the 60's Hayley Mills, Elvis and James Bond movies... Playdate magazines, Coke when it first came out in big glass bottles, white boots, trannies, portable record players, bell-bottoms, paisley shirts and pants, US sailors in the streets of Chch
I think it was the USS America came into ......Wellington Harbour and the Evening Post has headlines - 'Dial a Sailor'!!!! to offer hospitality to the boys! The streets of Wellington were awash with American guys ... Lol, Lol ... they were SO polite. What fun we had!!!!!! Would have been lateish 60s I think.
Cafe bet Victoria and Harris st and think it was as above.. I recall as a child going there with my Dad & having the most delicious toasted cheese and onion sandwiches and it had brambles and a ramp.
Lanes Emulsion OMG I recall it well and had t have it every morn before school in the winter to build strong bones.. I loved the spiders that James Smiths milk bar used to make & go there as a treat sometimes after college for one.. There was a neat little Cafe up Cable car Lane that made the most delicious pancakes with cream anyone know the name of that little place.
It was the Casa Fontana ......if my memory is correct! Don't recall the one in Cable Car Lane ... The Beachcomber round Oriental Bay, Carmen's (I think you're a wee bit young to remember that one!! Lol) Left Bank in Willis Street, Suzies - gone are the days ..
Yes that is it and my Dad remarried there in the 60s when I was only 5. Had the wedding reception there and I loved it there. Kinda dark and romantic. No dont recall Carmens and do recall the Beachcomber and do u recall Uncl Alberts attic in Cuba st as my older cous used to go there..
think I recall Uncle Alberts' Attic ......was it on the right if going from James Smiths - sort of nearer the top end of Cuba St? And Ali Babas on the left???
having a chat with some friends a few ...weeks ago here in Levin and several of us are Wellingtonians and we were talking of the people we'd known and the places there were in Wgton years ago. It was interesting what we remembered. Buddy, do you remember the Chez Lily in Dixon Steet and The Mondmarie (or was it Montmarie) on the corner of Roxburgh and Majoribanks St down Courtenay Place? and The Attic - the Nick Smith Trio used to play there!

Unc Alberts Attic
No it was on the left going up Cuba st and looked from the outside a grotty old place and u went up stairs..Dont recall Ali Babas. I might of been abit yound for that. Does anyone recall in Manners st the Rock shop which sold all sorts of stones and things for making jewellery and a garden shop across the road called the Zenith I think?... Woolworths used to sell orange cordials and snow freeze icecreams and Mackenzies had a diff tasting ice cream. That was my treat when been to town and on the way home. The Warldoff Cafe in Willis st down from the Murder house I recall well. They had yummy food. I dont recall Quincy Conserve.. Wasnt there a big Caberat in Willisst called The Magestic but I heard of folk going there for dances but i be too young. Suzies Cafe in Willis st was nice food. I sound like a real cafe or coffee bar kid in those day huh..
Does anyone recall the YFC rallies in the old town hall in Welly once a month. Was my highlight of the month those days and good musical groups and across from there were afew Cafes too that folk would go to after. I cant recall their names now?.... Dont know if they still have those rallies and goood place for young people to be off the streets and ran by Ian Grant. All christian based.
loved going to YFC rallys - they were great. Does anyone remember Sante bars - dark chocolate - also those little bars of toffee stuff covered in chocolate - can't remember what they were called - you could get them frozen as well and they were so chewy.
lived in kelburn up by the Cable Car ,which i used to ride on every sunday afternoon ,even driven it .Sadie,Chalkiej...i loved going to YFC rallies ,we probably know one another from old , my parents used to have billets from out of town, my cousin is married to one of the members of the band that used to play at all the rallies, having seen Ian Grant on tv you would not think he was the same person as he has lost a lot of stutter,

No comments: