Saturday, May 13, 2006

snippet 10

we used to take the cream to the stand on the sled and make Nobby the old draft horse go like heck and go over all the bumps so the cream would splash everywhere. Then the old sod when we got him to the stand would not turn round for me so I left him across the road till we got home from school and he would still be there if Dad had not come to fetch him. Just as well we were on a no exit road or we would have been in real trouble.

Meccano sets The old time meccano sets were pretty good. We got them for our boys at a later date also and I think we could operate them with meths, not so sure on that one. Remember birds nesting and taking their eggs and putting holes in them and blowing them.

Blowing eggs I remember doing that and collecting different ones. Had them in a little box on cotton wool. I like catching taddies and water boatmen and back swimmers etc inthe neighbour's pond, and crawling through the long grass before the hay was made.

Does anyone remember those little bees the school dental nurse use to make out of cotton balls? And the man with his horse and cart (ours was Chinese I think) who came and sharpened the knives. Oh and the Salies on the back of a truck playing christmas carols.

Certainly remember the bees made by the dental nurse. But that was for my children-far too out of it in my time. How about the dental nurse's foot driven drill. Ouch!! And the health nurses coming to schools for ring worm.

I can remember those injections The whole class lined up in the school passage waiting for a turn..foot treadle dentist drill yuk...Even when I first started my apprenticeship we had to have a medical.. first time I had ever had or even new about a urine test... another girl who started work the same time as me went together and were given the quart size agee jars yep you guessed we both near filled them the nurses must have nearly cracked up..LOL

I miss the sallies on the back of the trucks at Christmas.. and guy fawkes.. We spent days making the guy..then stuck him in a wheelbarrow & they were judged..and the best were put on the community bonfire.. I remember all those shots.. and the polio drink.. yuckkkkk..billy carts.. and trying to catch birds on the back lawn with a box propped up on a stick.. which had a bit of string tied to it.. patiently waiting for a bird to go in and yankkk !!! we pulled the string.. geeeeeeez, come to think of it, I bet that was the quietest I everrrrr was.. being an Aries and all.lol

I remember going to get my polio drink at the DIC in Wellington. We all trooped down from work on The Terrace so it would have been 1956 or 1957 I think. During that time we went for chest x-rays too for TB and I remember an older workmate persuading me because I might be the one who had it. Unfortunately she was one who had it and was in the sanitorium up behind the hospital for 18 months.

No comments: