Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Dance Memories

Our tiny country hall run weekly dances for learners.All of us kids loved to go.Way back then we could all dance.Our daughters were born in the 60's and Hubbie taught them how to dance in our lounge

First dance was the High School social in the school hall. I was in the third form. Mum and I made a new dress - short of course that was the 'in' length then and high heels. Girls congregated together in their groups and boys lined the walls. Punch to drink (not spiked) and lovely supper. Lights dimmed and all the teachers watched for any hanky panky!

first dance was probably the high school social My Dad played the drums for his band and they were asked to play for the school social.So I was the only one of 600 kids who had their dad at the social,sitting on the stage.

first dance was in 3rd Form. Dances were once a month with Wesley College School for Boys. Used to make my dresses (mini) on my old Globe Sewing Machine -

I remember we use to get a ride to the closest local hall so we could do ballroom dancing. I think we probably went more for the tea and biscuits haha. Was only a young teen at the time, at least it was something to do

but I do remember the Youth Clubs once a month.. They were 4 hour dances on a sunday afternoon.. Up to 3 live bands some times.. We also used to travel away.. Palm Nth, Wnaganui, Napier.. now thaaaaaat was great times..I actually met Lee Grant at one.. real name Bogdin Cominowski..

I wasn't allowed to go dancing, but I made up for it by learning ballroom dancing in my 20s. I remember going to 9 balls one year with 7 different partners, ranging in age from 18 to 40ish, no strings attached

I had some red hot pants with a little skirt. Used to wear them with lace up knee hi boots.

Remember some of the old dances. The valeeta (sp) gay gordons, used to hate that as I am tall and used to be very self conscious when struck a very short partner. We used to have ballroom dancing classes at college, was a nightmare for the shy ones

I loved the dances where you changed partners cause sometimes you got to dance with someone you REALLY wanted contact with! and hoped it would go around enough times to get that partner again. Was great for us shy ones not able to ask someone outright for a dance. My bedroom wall had all sorts of pics like Lee Grant, Shane, Beetles, Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Englebert Humpidink, Tom Jones, ABBA, etc.

My wall was covered with the Dave clark 5 and Hermans Hermits, Gerry and the pacemakers!!

Who remembers the coffee bar scene. Used to be a number of them in wellington, Remember one off Marjoriebanks St that was very popular, the Sorrento was another, one side done up as heaven and the other as hell. Thought we were very daring going there.

Remember the coffee bars. Felt so cool having a toasted sandwich and coffee at 10 pm at night. Seemed almost naughty and not a drop of alcohol in sight.

After the late nights out (like midnight!) had to be on our toes for Mass at 8 a.m. in the morning....then home and watched mum cook the Sunday roast (for lunch) and make the cream sponge and pikelets for tea. Of course we had the cold meat and salads for tea...and then the treats. All taken for granted

had a little black and white radio that I had in my bedroom I knew the times and stations of all the hit parades. Mum and dad were sitting in the lounge listening to their radiogram. Lovely peice of furniture actially in pale wood. I was supposed to be doing my homework for School C

the Sorrento was the one in Ghuznee Street wasn't it? We went there not knowing what it was like, and there was a police raid and they locked us in while they searched for someone. They found him on the roof lol. Scary for a little goody two-shoes like me! Another time we were at the Pines and Tommy Adderley was singing "I remember you" and in between his lines, he whispered "hide everything, the police are coming". Everyone hid their illicit beers etc in the loos, then the police drove round the carpark and left. There were some near fights as everyone reclaimed their drinks - that's mine, no it's mine.

No comments: